Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

Kenneth Whistler kenw at sybase.com
Fri Aug 7 22:13:30 CEST 2009

Vint asked:

> thanks - i would read this as recommending to treat U+3006
> (IDEOGRAPHIC CLOSING MARK) as a pvalid character
> that can be used with other pvalid characters

That much is already the case and doesn't require any change.

> and that it
> can be used as an enabler for the use of the Katakana
> Middle Dot (U+30FB).
>
> Have I correctly understood your intent?

Not quite. On the second point, I am implicitly siding with
John and Harald in thinking that it isn't worth writing
another exception into the rule for the CONTEXTO U+30FB,
just to enable it to be used with U+3006 without any
other character.

In other words, I'm supporting the rule as Patrik formulated
it:

False;
For All Characters:
    If Script(cp) .in. {Hiragana, Katakana, Han} Then True;

without adding another conditional to deal with U+3006.
I don't think the benefit for that (allowing use of
U+3006 and U+30FB together in a label without any other
Japanese character present) is worth the additional
complexity it entails for the rule.

--Ken