Katakana Middle Dot again (Was: tables-06b.txt: A.5, A.6, A.9)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Fri Aug 7 11:39:46 CEST 2009

--On Friday, August 07, 2009 09:49 +0200 Patrik Fältström
<patrik at frobbit.se> wrote:

> The rule I am thinking about is the following:
>
> False;
> For All Characters:
>     If Script(cp) .in. {Hiragana, Katakana, Han} Then True;
>
> Note that the Script of Katakana Middle Dot is neither of
> "Hiragana",   "Katakana" or "Han".

This works for me, but I'm a little ignorant about the issues.
More important, the pseudo-code is a little confusing.  My
impression in Sweden is that we wanted to switch the requirement
from "each character in the label other than the middle dot
itself must be in one of those scripts" to "at least one
character in the label must be in one of those scripts".   If
our intention is the latter, then I think the above accomplishes
that and is correct, but an added comment in your note might be
helpful, e.g., have the note read (including a small editorial
suggestion):

	Note that the Script of Katakana Middle Dot is not any
	of "Hiragana", "Katakana" or "Han".    The effect of
	this rule is to require at least one character in "cp"
	to be in one of those scripts.

--john