What should I do?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Apr 17 21:18:12 CEST 2009

I don't want to get drawn into this discussion, so I won't post again
on it.  But. . .

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 06:50:08PM +0200, Xavier Legoff wrote:

>  > is off charter
>
> The WG will stop work and recommend that a new charter be generated if it
> concludes that any of the following are necessary to meet its goals:
>
> (iii) A change to the basic approach taken in the design team documents
> (Namely: [] elimination of character mapping in the protocol)
>
> We completely oppose mapping at the protocol level (including all of what
> actually can be equaled to mapping to nil).

. . .I'd like to call this particular point of disagreement for what
it is: nonsense.  The exceptions table was _always_ in the design, the
charter was constructed when everyone knew about it, and there's
nothing wrong with it.  It is mistaken to suggest that the particular
example of what to do with the TATWEEL character is off-charter.  On
the contrary, this sort of case is exactly what that exception table
is for, as Patrik already pointed out more than once.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at shinkuro.com
Shinkuro, Inc.