MVALID (was Re: M-Label or MVALID, and dangers with mappings?)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Apr 14 16:16:35 CEST 2009

This exchanges has been very helpful in outlining what I think are two views
and maybe even a compromise position for the WG to consider.

Plainly we have agreed that mapping should be available to ease the
introduction of IDNA2008. We have also agreed that the canonical forms of
IDN labels (U-label and A-label that are equivalent under the punycode and
reverse-punycode mappings) are extremely valuable fixed points in the
protocol.

The dialogue among Paul Hoffman, Andrew Sullivan, Pete Resnick and Patrik
Faltstrom suggests to me that a definition of Mapping (prior to lookup)
should be undertaken by the WG but that its use might  be determined by
application context. If that compromise is adopted, the Mapping would be
recommended in cases where IDNA2003 compatibility is desired/needed but that
mapping on lookup is not absolutely required under all circumstances.

If we take that path, it will be very helpful to have not only the
definition of the mapping but also advice about conditions underwhich it
seems strongly advisable to apply.

vint