MVALID (was Re: M-Label or MVALID, and dangers with mappings?)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue Apr 14 07:18:34 CEST 2009

On 14 apr 2009, at 04.03, Pete Resnick wrote:

> On 4/13/09 at 1:31 PM -0700, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Andrew and Pete: do you feel that it is OK for this WG to update a
>> protocol from one where a conformant application was required to
>> convert "EuroCafé.com" to a valid DNS request to one where a
>> conformant application can simply reject that input? Note that there
>> is no indication to the user which version of the protocol is being
>> used.
>
> Andrew can answer for himself, but as for me, let me answer this way:

FWIW, I am fully on the same side as Pete here, but let me add another
example:

We already today have problems with people "entering" EuroCafé.com in
various places and they are confused by the fact that that is not
either stored in the DNS zone file (it is the xn-- version) or what is
"coming back" when you convert the xn-- version back to Unicode.

We also have cases where unfortunately the EuroCafé.com has _not_ been
mapped before passed around in protocols, stored in databases etc, and
that will now create a huge problem. People did not think the mapping
had to happen before DNS was to be used, when in reality we need to do
the mapping whenever one want to do a comparison between domain names
(LDAP do that comparison for example).

So absolutely, any sensible application will do the mapping on behalf
of the user, but there are also application that definitely should not
do it. The important thing is that (a) The user is not surprised, (b)
The A-label and U-label is what is passed around and stored etc.

We must trust the application developers here, and more importantly,
we must allow for innovation. I have no idea what user interfaces will
be created in the future, but I already today have seen plugins to
browsers that add spaces around the domain name before display of a
URI. Are those spaces part of the domain name support, or uri support,
inside or outside of the IDNA-suite-of-documents?

To be honest: I do not care. I think it is important the applications
can elaborate on what the best mechanisms are, specifically as the
application also know the LOCALE in which it works. The mappings will
most certainly be different also between for example a Swedish and
German context. Or between a Danish and Swedish context! I can for
example envision an application "trying" with a double lookup to look
up both "örestad" and "ørestad" although both ö and ø are PVALID. Is
that wrong? Maybe the application have interest in doing so to
minimize phishing risks in a Scandinavian Context.

So, I think when talking about mappings it is EXTREMELY dangerous to
have any MUST, if not in the context of "MUST NOT surprise the user".

I therefore fully support your "simply reject the input". No, that is
not how it should work. But be forced to always do the mapping?
Absolutely not, as there are many situations where supporting the
mapping will be "silently" doing something that will surprise the user.

    Patrik