Alternate character sets (was: Re: confusing labels)

Xavier Legoff xlegoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 14:03:38 CEST 2009

Dear Mr. Klensin,
I do not want to engage into a diatribe. I just wished to underline
the difficulty to confuse internationalization (which may be a network
application service - layer 7)  and localization of the used names
which is a user application service - outside of the OSI model.

The real issue now is mails like this Louis Pouzin's one on Civil
Society Governance Dynamic Coalition:

"Chers amis, dear friends,

Voir ce qu'un célèbre linguiste indien dit sur les fantaisies d'unicode:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/multilingual/presentations/S9-Rabbani.pdf

See what a top indian linguist says about unicode vagaries:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/worksem/multilingual/presentations/S9-Rabbani.pdf

Voici la liste des administrateurs du consortium unicode. Vous avez compris ?
Here is a list of the unicode consortium board members. You get the idea ?

• Harald Tveit Alvestrand - GOOGLE (USA)
• Julie Bennett - MICROSOFT (USA)
• Carl Hoffman - Basis Technology (USA)
• Tatsuo L. Kobayashi - JustSystems Corp. (JAPAN)
• Marypat Meuli - MICROSOFT (USA)
• David Richards - OCLC (USA)
• Bill Sullivan - IBM (USA)
• Celia Vigil - APPLE (USA)
• Mark Davis , president - GOOGLE (USA)
• Mike Kernaghan , VP & Treasurer - MICROSOFT (USA)
• plus a few more administrative staff"

This may complexify your task ahead.
Sincerely yours.

Xavier Legoff.