Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sun Apr 12 05:43:46 CEST 2009

Folks,

I think John's point about inappropriate contextual use of certain
characters is really a key issue here. As we introduce a broad range of new
characters into domain names, it is virtually certain that some people will
try to use them for phishing or related purposes. If they could be
reasonably ruled out as punctuation, that seems a reasonable choice. The
alternative is to rely on registrars (in the generic sense - ie. operators
of registries at any level in the DNS) to resist registering confusables. I
fully agree that we ultimately cannot prevent all confusable abuses and will
have to rely on registration-time conservative practices. This also means
that there will be a lot of abuse since second or third level "registration"
can be fully in the hands of a deliberate abuser. It is in this area where
we may have an obligation to think in terms of deliberate misuse. So even if
some characters would not be confusing in proper context, they might be used
with deliberate malice in inappropriate contexts. The middle dot might be
one such case.