Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Fri Apr 10 19:10:02 CEST 2009

Your statement wasn't offensive, and I didn't take it as such. (Email is a
particularly clumsy medium for conveying tone, so it is easy to misinterpret
what someone says.)

I think the reason that John raised it, and that I followed in that vein, is
that visual representation is a key factor in our deliberations. We do have
exceptions to the LMN rule, and those exceptions are based on whether (a)
the character is needed -- in common usage in words, and (b) whether
inclusion causes "harm".

The only demonstrated harm for non-ASCII characters in IDNA is where there
there is visual confusion, so that's why it comes up as a criterion in this
case.

Mark