Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Wed Apr 8 22:16:36 CEST 2009

On 8 apr 2009, at 00.41, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> So we are now back to choosing characters based on visual confusion?
> How the heck did we get here?

Because Mark started using visual representation.

As John wrote, if we look at the Unicode classification, the arabic
digit zero (0x0660) is Nd, while the katakana middle dot (0x30FB) is Po.

This implies without exceptions, the arabic digit zero is PVALID while
the middle dot is DISALLOWED.

In that context, Mark dragged in the "visual difference", which is I
think (as you point out) not relevant for this part of the discussion.

If the goal of IDNA2008 is to be careful, we should move codepoints
towards "being excluded" and not towards "being included". That move,
towards excluded, is what we did with the arabic zero. What we are
discussing now is to drag the middle dot towards "being included".

That is for me a very very big difference.

    Patrik