AW: Q2: What mapping function should be used in a revised IDNA2008specification?

Georg Ochsner g.ochsner at revolistic.com
Wed Apr 8 12:33:48 CEST 2009

The MX registry has just prepared a grandfathering period for the introduction of second-level MX registrations. That means registrants of third-level domains can apply for the second-level pendent. The tricky part is, that there are 5 ccSLD at the moment (com.mx, edu.mx, org.mx, net.mx and gob.mx), hence possibly 5 registrants applying for the same new domain. So they had to add a "first come first served" process on top of the grandfathering...

That's a good example. They noticed that for them it was wrong not to have the second level domains available like in many other countries and made up their mind how to get out of it without unsettling the registrants or users. That's how change can be managed! I am sure what the Mexican registry can do, is no problem for the German and Austrian registry neither.

Georg