Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Wed Apr 8 00:43:48 CEST 2009

--On Tuesday, April 07, 2009 07:26 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> Disagree. It would be good to give Yoneya-san more time to
> come up with a proposal for contextual rules. Even if his
> rules don't permit every situation where the dot is used in
> common names that might be host labels, they would be better
> than prohibiting this very common character.

I hope it is clear from my response to Mark that I agree with
the above.  I think the issue is finding an acceptable set of
rules.  If one can be found, then I'm in favor of leaving the
character in, as an exception.   On the other hand, if one
cannot be found, then the character drops back to DISALLOWED.

And I do not believe that a Katakana middle dot in a label that
otherwise consists of only of Latin characters is an acceptable
contextual rule.