Tables and contextual rule for Katakana middle dot

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sat Apr 4 05:31:23 CEST 2009

Patrik,

Just so this doesn't accidentally fall through the cracks...

It is clear from the discussion last week that I simply got the
contextual rule for Katakana Middle Dot (U+30FB) wrong in what
is rule/Appendix A.12 in Tables-05.  I had understood that I had
been told it was used only with Katakana; the JET I-D and
Monday's presentation make it clear to me (and I assume others)
that it can be used between any pair of Japanese characters.
The overview now reads:

   Adjacent characters MUST be Katakana.

It should be:

   Adjacent characters MUST be Hiragana, Katakana, or Han.

The associated Rule Set will, of course, have to be updated to
match.

Yoneya-san,

Could you please check the above and verify that I have stated
the rule correctly and not simply replaced one error with
another?  Also, the Unicode table Scripts.txt lists several
Hiragana and Katakana characters are members of the "Common"
group rather than being script-specific.  Could you verify that
none of those are relevant (e.g., that they are DISALLOWED or
otherwise prohibited from appearing in domain name labels)?

thanks,