Making progress on the mapping question

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Wed Apr 1 03:09:28 CEST 2009

We need to separate some very different cases. Take a string S, and look at
the results under each implementation. By A-Label or XN-Label below, I
mean*the IDNA2008 definitions.
*
1.* Identical. *IDNA2008 produces an A-Label, IDNA2003 produces an A-Label,
and they are the same. This is the best case.

Example: http://öbb.at <http://%c3%b6bb.at/>.

2. *Different. *IDNA2008 produces an A-Label, IDNA2003 produces an A-Label,
but they are different. This is the really bad case.

Example: क्‌ख.com <http://%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%8D%E2%80%8C%E0%A4%96.com>
= क\u094D\u200Cख.com <http://xn--21b.com>, with a ZWNJ

3. *Mappable. *IDNA2008 does not (old draft) produce an A-Label, IDNA2003
produces an A-Label. This is the mappable case, aka M-Label. People will
continue to expect these to work.

Example: ÖBB.at <http://%C3%96BB.at>

4. *Forbidden.* IDNA2008 does not produce an A-Label, IDNA2003 produces an
XN-Label that isn't an A-Label. This is the "symbol" case.

Example: I♥NY.blogspot.com/ <http://xn--iny-zx5a.blogspot.com/>

I think implications of the rough consensus from the meeting is that:

   - Forbidden and Different are not part of protocol, but that we should
   explicitly describe a transition strategy for dealing with those cases. Note
   that only Different requires a double DNS lookup.
   - Mappable is a required part of lookup protocol, but forbidden in
   registration. That way we have a single, uniform, compatible mapping on the
   user side, and avoid misunderstandings in registration.
   - We have a SHOULD on only storing A-Labels or U-Labels.

That is a compromise position that appears to meet everyone's core
requirements, even where it is not the preferred position.

Mark