Protocol-05

William Tan dready at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 14:26:02 CEST 2008

Hi John,

Here are some comments on the document:

1. Section 3.1 bullet 1

> Whenever a domain name is put into an IDN-unaware domain name
>        slot (see Section 2 and [IDNA2008-Rationale]), it MUST contain
>        only ASCII characters (i.e., must be either an A-label or an LDH-
>        label), or must be a label associated with a DNS application that
>        is not subject to either IDNA or the historical recommendations
>        for "hostname"-style names [RFC1034].

First part of the sentence talks about "domain name", while later
parts use "labels".

2. Section 3.2.1 - "TYPE SRV MUST NOT be A-labels or U-labels". Seems
to me that we are imposing a requirement when there isn't one. Aren't
the first two labels SIMPLY NOT A-labels or U-labels (instead of "MUST
NOT be")?

RFC1700 (referenced from SRV RFC2782) states that "protocol or service
may be up to 40 characters taken from the set of uppercase letters,
digits, and the punctuation character hyphen.  It must start with a
letter, and end with a letter or digit."

=wil