KATS (Korean Agency for Technology and Standards)'s Comments on theUnicode Codepoints and IDNA Internet-Draft

Andrew Sullivan ajs at shinkuro.com
Fri Oct 31 17:01:33 CET 2008

Dear colleagues,

On 31-Oct-08, at 8:51 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

> that train has long since left the station. Since the 11K syllables
> are sufficient (burden of proof on those who believe otherwise) they
> and they alone should be permitted in Korean IDN.

I believe I understand the example in this case, and I believe I
understand the KATS statement as well.  But none of these appear to me
to have answered the fundamental question I had before, which is why
these exceptions should be in the _protocol_.  They sound to me like
policy.

Even if only the 11k syllables "alone should be permitted in Korean
IDN", it does not follow that any of the codepoints that are the
subject of this discssion should be excluded at the protocol level.

I am particularly uneasy with arguments that depend either on
confusability or on the way that one could have encoded these
characters in Unicode, if one ran the circus.  This working group
explicitly ruled the first of those premises out in its charter.  The
working group's dependence on properties explicitly requires that we
accept the Unicode definitions.  Even if we think things should be
another way, we're not here to specify The Right Way to encode the
writing system of a language.  We're here to "internationalize LDH".

That one can do nasty and unpleasant things with "iLDH" is plain.  One
can also do such nasty things with plain LDH, although not as many.
This is why operators of zones need to have clear policies for their
zones, and why (in my opinion) we ought to be encouraging a default of
"disallow".

What I believe we should _not_ do is try selectively to include policy
in the protocol.  For the most part, I believe the current documents
have done a good job in that direction.  I believe that if we begin
now to DISALLOW characters on the grounds of confusability or likely
utility, we're confusing protocol and policy.  I think if we're going
to do that, we should look again at the foundation principles of the
current work, and perhaps revisit some decisions that I, at least, had
hoped were closed.

Best regards,

Andrew

--