KATS (Korean Agency for Technology and Standards)'s Comments on theUnicode Codepoints and IDNA Internet-Draft

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Oct 31 13:23:28 CET 2008

Martin,

as a non-Korean reader and speaker, it seems to me that the Korean
team proposal makes sense simply because the set of non-JAMO
characters already incorporated into the UNICODE seem more than
adequate for IDN purposes. Perhaps it is worth remembering that the
purpose of domain names is not necessarily to be able to express
every conceivable string in orthographic form but to serve as a
suitable basis for identifiers in the Internet, while taking steps to
reduce unnecessary risk of confusion.

Inasmuch as the proposal to exclude JAMOs seems to come from an
expert group that is knowledgeable about both the language and
Internet matters, I am hard pressed to see why the WG should not
adopt their recommendation.

vint

NOTE NEW BUSINESS ADDRESS AND PHONE
Vint Cerf