Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Oct 16 13:18:30 CEST 2008

I am traveling in Oregon at the moment and will try to summarize the
state of responses tonight to the latest set of consensus questions.

I confess that I share Patrik's concern for disregarding a consensus
process from a specific language expert group.

vint

NOTE NEW BUSINESS ADDRESS AND PHONE
Vint Cerf
Google
1818 Library Street, Suite 400
Reston, VA 20190
202-370-5637
vint at google.com

On Oct 16, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On 16 okt 2008, at 06.08, Martin Duerst wrote:
>
>> I had a look at the document again. For those points of the
>> proposal where it disagrees with what we currently have,
>> the words "not needed" are used. Nothing that even comes
>> close to words such as "harmful", "confusing", or the like
>> appears for points 1 and 2. The word "confusing appears for
>> point 3, Hangul Compatibility Jamo, which we already disallow.
>>
>> Of course writing and reading such documents is always frought
>> with difficulties, but I don't think that the hypothesis that
>> the authors understand the difference between "we don't need
>> them" and "these are dangerous" is far-fetched.
>
> Fair. Thanks Martin for taking time to read this document again.
>
> This because I think having an IETF wg make a decision about consensus
> that is _against_ a proposal from a formal organisation like NIDA that
> say they have been running a consensus driven process in Korea with
> participants from Korean Agency for Technology and Standards (National
> Body of ISO and IEC), the National Institute of The Korean Language,
> etc, is serious.
>
> If we had a similar situation in Sweden where IETF ruled against what
> similar consensus driven process in Sweden about Swedish...well, I
> would start asking serious questions on how consensus in IETF was
> reached.
>
> So, I am as editor of the tables document neutral in the issue. I just
> envision that for 8.c, we will get questions given what the consensus
> seems to be at the moment.
>
>     Patrik
>
>> Regards,    Martin.

>>> I understand your statement, and view.
>>>
>>> I am just confused over the reaction in general from people.
>>>
>>> I have attached the Korean proposal, which in short is:
>>>
>>> 1. Add Hangul Jamo to blocks to disallow (i.e. "2.1.4
>>> IgnorableBlocks
>>> (D)")