OFF TOPIC normalization (was Re: Consensus Call Tranche 3 (Permanence))

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Tue Oct 14 13:36:15 CEST 2008

The UTC *did* what you say it should have done.
It did not revise Unicode 3.2; it changed a *later* version of the Unicode
Standard, *and* issued a corrigendum so that people could either still claim
conformance to U3.2 as it was, or could claim conformance to U3.2 with the
corrigendum. From http://www.unicode.org/versions/corrigenda.html - An
implementation claiming conformance to any version of Unicode in that range
may
 also claim conformance to one or more of the corrigenda applicable to
that version.

Until and if IDNA2003 was revised, it referred to U3.2 without the
corrigendum, and was unaffected by any later corrigendum.

I agree with Martin that in an ideal world, IDNA2003 should have been had an
erratum/corrigendum for that, but none was issued. And now, of course, this
is completely moot, since the effects of the normalization changes from the
UTC are stunningly small compared to the other changes from IDNA2003 to
IDNA2008.

Mark