Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Oct 14 13:31:55 CEST 2008

Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> writes:

> Consensus Call Tranche 8 (character adjustments)
>
> Place your reply here: [YES or NO]

NO for 8.c, for the reasons Mark and Martin explained.

If eszett and final-sigma are permitted, there must be discussions on
backwards compatibility and security consequences.  This brings back the
discussion that it may be lower over-all cost to change the xn-- prefix
for IDNA2008.

I'm not yet ready to decide on 8.a and 8.b until we have discussed and
reviewed the backwards compatibility and security issues.  Pending such
text to review, I'd say NO because we do not know what the consequences
of making this change is today.

/Simon