Consensus Call Tranche 8 (Character Adjustments)

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Oct 14 13:04:23 CEST 2008

At 18:25 08/10/12, Vint Cerf wrote:
>Consensus Call Tranche 8 (character adjustments)
>
>Place your reply here: [YES or NO]

[Vint, if you need to count this only one way,
just count it as a NO to be on the safe side.]

YES for 8.a and 8.b. Despite the transition issues
mentioned by Mark, the long discussion on this list has
shown that these are the right things to do in the long term.
While I'm not aware of any concrete examples of similar
cases, I think it would be worthwhile to check with other
potentially affected script/language communities.
What, for example, about the few final letters in Hebrew?

NO for 8.c, for the reasons explained by Mark.
KRNIC is free (or better, strongly recommended) to exclude
conjoining Hangul from what they allow to register,
but that should not influence our discussion too much.

[Just as a hopefully far-fetched example, assume that
one day in North Korea, a few Hangul syllables containing some
historic Jamos gains crucial importance.]

Regards,   Martin.