Consensus Call Tranche 3 (Permanence)

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun Oct 12 23:04:30 CEST 2008

Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> writes:

> Consensus Call Tranche 3 (Permanence)
>
> Place your reply here: [YES or NO]

NO.

> COMMENTS:

I believe the permanence requirement should be stronger.  In other
words, I prefer to remove "unless serious and unanticipated
circumstances occur.".  With that change, the proposed text is fine with
me.

Note that it will _always_ be possible to re-classify characters by
publishing a new IDNA standard that says "whatever IDNA2008 says, but
treat code point X as Y because Z".  This approach is more clear for
implementers, as it is simpler to explain conformance.

It also sends a strong message to the UTC that if they break the
normalization operation, they will break IDNA 2008.  PERIOD.  We should
not allow them to weasel out of a backwards incompatible normalization
change with reasons such as "well, this can be considered a
unanticipated circumstance, so you should simply change your
implementation because it is buggy" which they have done before.

/Simon