Consensus Call Tranche 1 (Document Organization)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Tue Oct 7 19:08:22 CEST 2008

--On Monday, 06 October, 2008 16:54 -0400 Vint Cerf
<vint at google.com> wrote:

> DUE DATE: October 10, 2008 (ET)

Place your reply here: YES

> COMMENTS:

As I have said before, I can live with the extra document
solution implied by the alternative outlined below.    However,
I am very concerned about two things:

	(1) Especially given the speed at which the WG is
	moving, it may take us a long time to get consensus
	about what is and is not "normative".  One specific
	example is the description of differences between
	IDNA2003 and IDNA2003, which I believe must not be
	considered normative unless we want to risk much greater
	trouble.

	(2) I fear that, if we move the material that people
	consider critical out of the Rationale document with the
	intention of getting the other documents out sooner, it
	may be equivalent to a decision to kill the Rationale
	document.  For reasons that have been discussed at
	length on the list, I believe the explanatory material
	in the Rationale document is as important to our work as
	the protocol-implementer material in the other documents.

Both of those issues are addressed at more length in the note I
just sent in response to Jefsey's answer.  They may be further
elaborated in some more material I hope to get out within the
next 24 hours.