Tables: BackwardCompatible Maintanence

Mark Davis mark at macchiato.com
Wed Nov 19 17:17:19 CET 2008

BackwardCompatible MaintanenceChanges to BackwardCompatible are a completely
different beast than adjustments to PVALID and DISALLOWED. The latter we can
hope to never happen. But changes to BackwardCompatible
MUST be done to preserve backwards compatibility, it is not an option! And
we know that there is a non-zero likelyhood that this will happen with each
Unicode version (every year or so).The BackwardCompatible list, like the
Context Rules Registry, should be under the aegis of IANA, with precise and
strict instructions to add exactly (all and only) those characters necessary
to preserve backwards compatibility with each new version of Unicode. This
is not a new concept: BCP 47 (RFC 4646) has a section describing exactly
what to do with each new version of a source ISO standard. The textual
changes to do this are small, and I can supply suggested text.
*Minor*

This document uses different reference names for the same documents, eg
[TR15]. All of the IDNA2008 documents should use the same notation for
common references.

Mark