New version of Rationale (-04)

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Mon Nov 3 15:14:46 CET 2008

Hi.

The new version of Rationale is now in the posting queue.  As
indicated in my previous note, those who are particularly
concerned about a discussion of the transition rules for Eszett
and Final Sigma should look at the new Section 7.2 and the "Note
in draft" at its beginning.  You should also review other places
in the document where Eszett and/or Final Sigma are mentioned
and advise on what should be left along, what should be shifted
into 7.2, and what can be removed entirely.

Of course, I'd appreciate suggestions on the rest of the
document too, ideally sooner rather than later, and ideally
topical rather than just a list of changes you'd like made.
The latter does not seem to converge easily -- in this round,
I've been asked to change some things back that I changed in
response to earlier comments that did not seem to get any
feedback from others.  IMO, if we are going to make significant
progress, comments on these documents that move beyond editorial
suggestions have to treated as comments to the WG for
discussion, rather than a two-way dialogue between individuals
and the editors.