Punycode & IMA/EAI

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Thu May 22 23:23:22 CEST 2008

John C Klensin wrote:

>> So far I have never seen an URI written with non-ASCII
>> characters written on a business card, no matter which side.

> Nor have I.

> And, if that trend continues and generalizes, then this entire
> IDN exercise (new versions and old) and probably the EAI one are
> a waste of time.  For some reason, a lot of people don't believe
> that.

Hm ?!?  You'll never see an URI with non-ASCII characters.  That
would be an IRI, and there are not many documents formats and UAs
suporting such formats permitting IRIs yet.  But this will change
when IDN TLDs and something in the direction of HTML 5 exist, and
when IE6 is less popular than today, and when the EAI experiment
turns out to work.  Just a matter of some years, or did I miss the
point of your statement ?

 Frank