Punycode & IMA/EAI

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu May 22 07:59:24 CEST 2008

--On Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 11:23 -0700 Shawn Steele
<Shawn.Steele at microsoft.com> wrote:

>> I have. A Japanese friend of mine had a Japanese IDN on the
>> Japanese side of his business card. A single observance,
>> still, but existing in reality.
>
> And I presume that on the Latin side of the card he has a
> transliterated IDN rather than the punycode?
>
> I expect that to be the common case once adoption is wide
> enough and reliable enough.

Shawn,

I agree.  But I also see absolutely no way to prohibit the use
of the punycode form in the protocol should someone want to use
it.  Whether that is the "uncommon case", the "almost never
case", or even less frequent is really irrelevant.   Now, if
your software wants to notice the punycode and deal sternly with
the user, that is not a protocol problem.  I'd suggest it
wouldn't be a particularly good idea either, but tastes differ.

And Tina is correct; most of this discussion is not relevant to
the WG and the horse has left the barn on some of the rest.