Archaic scripts

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon May 12 10:02:43 CEST 2008

I recently bought a mobile phone, and I had to wait for an hour
or so for the code to be downloaded and installed. I don't think
I'll do that a second time, but it indicates that at least I got
the newest software package, and so will others. Given that mobile
phones are not stuff you keep for ages, and given that they are
usually made for certain markets (including the character input
software that comes with it), I'm not so worried about the
limitations of upgradability of mobile phones.
(your mileage may vary, but I think that's the general direction
for this kind of devices).

There may be other devices that live a lot longer, and are in a
central place so that they have to serve more than one user,
where actual upgradability or not matters a lot more.

Regards,     Martin.