looking up domain names with unassigned code points

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon May 12 19:15:04 CEST 2008

At 17:22 12/05/2008, Erik van der Poel wrote:
>Some might interpret this to mean that it is OK to look up labels
>with unassigned characters. Or am I misunderstanding this?

Erik,
if you want applications not to look up labels with unassigned
characters, I am afraid you have to convince their developpers for
the centuries to come that the idea why they may want to do it is a bad idea.

Am I misunderstanding something basic? Is not the whole idea that we
do not change anything in the DNS, everything is at the
application  level, yet we want to impose constaints and entropy at a
pre-DNS level. And we are surprised because people want to by-pass
the constraints and dismayed because the information has degraded.

IMHO, as long as there is no end to end necessity to respect the IDNA
constraints, whereever that necessity is located in, ".su" will be
the most sensible thing to do for a ccTLD Manager (unless it is
protected by a local law)..
jfc