looking up domain names with unassigned code points

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon May 12 20:22:59 CEST 2008

At 18:07 12/05/2008, Tina Dam wrote:
>Vint, this is true. ICANN staff have recommended to the .SU
>operators not to open for IDNs in this matter and also offered to
>assist or recommend other experts to assist in deploying IDN.SU in a
>secure manner, just FYI.

Tina,
The problem is that your recommendation is no more technically secure
from a registry point of view as there is no ICANN/WIPO warranted
conversion tool, but it is legally unsecure. A Registry sells a
registration and a nameserver support of ASCII labels. This is its
RFC and ICP-1 defined job. With a WIPO/ICANN UDRP. What the
registrant does with the names is not its cup of tea. It never knows it.

Why alone, among the whole Internet, second level Registry Managers
should consider the use of the domain names they sell, for one single
user application among millions, and take technical and IP
responsibility for it which is not even legally worked out by WIPO.
Moreover than phishing is carried at third level and above, in using
IE7 and Firefox, with any existing DN.

There is a Consultation going on in France by the Government over the
French ccTLD Registries Management as Public Services. One of the
france at large answer backed by several lawyers is that .fr and the
other French TLDs behave like .su, as long as there is not a State
control and warranty. We will see what will be the answer. The
Registry cannot be legally responsible of what the users may do. More
over if it operates by State delegation. ".gr" Registry Manager has
already explained what they do. The same, IE7 and Firefox have also
described the different way they support IDNs, is the Registry
Manager to be legally responsible?

Now let suppose there is an extended Punycode algorithm? Common sense
leads to think that modern symbols like famous logos will be of
interest in mobiles and their code point for sale. This logocode
business can be very fruitful; or regulated by law. This is one of
the reasons why I prefer ISO 10646 to Unicode as the same reference
table. Are we discussing archaïc symbol or modern logos and music tunes ?

jfc