New version: draft-ietf-idna-tables-01.txt

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Tue May 6 07:31:58 CEST 2008

On 5 maj 2008, at 23.57, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> Frank noted:
>
>> Minor nit, you lost 10FFFE and 10FFFF at the very end.
>
> Yes, that's a bug in the table generation.

Indeed. Will be fixed in -02.

>> Generally, I don't see why reviving Linear B for the purpose of
>> domain labels thousands of years since it was used is a good
>> idea.  You also can't do much with the one PVALID PHAISTOS DISC
>> COMBINING OBLIQUE STROKE if the rest of the Phaistos Disc block
>> is DISALLOWED.  Similar Lycian, Carian, Old Italic, Gothic, Old
>> Persian, Cypriot Syllables, Phoenician, Lydian, Cuneiform, ...
>
> I concur with this opinion. I think it is silly to
> have historic scripts on Plane 1, like Sumero-Akkadian Cuneiform,
> PVALID for IDNs, and disagree with the apparent consensus that
> set in two weeks ago to remove the block exclusion for
> historic scripts.

I might have been unclear when I stated what rules I see we do have
consensus about.

Originally, we did have a selection based on scripts, that we only
used for creation of the MAYBE category. When people said MAYBE should
be removed, I also saw that script selection should be removed
"because we can not choose between script A and script B".

The current selection is based on block, not script.

I have seen lately people talk more and more about historic SCRIPTs,
and I am happy to add such a rule. That can based on script set
certain codepoints to DISALLOWED.

Is that what we all want? What list of scripts should then be on that
list? (I have seen some people referring to a list created by UTC, but
no consensus.)

> Frank is right that the table is bigger than it should be,
> however. Adding back the historic scripts on Plane 1 just
> increases the range needed for testing, to no appropriate
> end. Under my earlier drafts of candidate properties
> like IDN_Allowed (and Patrik's earlier draft tables),
> *nothing* from Plane 1 was PVALID -- and I think that is
> a useful design point, actually.

If I understand your and Frank proposal here is that we SHOULD add
"historic scripts" rule, and move them to DISALLOWED.

    Patrik