Registry restrictions

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue May 6 02:11:13 CEST 2008

At 22:42 05/05/2008, Gervase Markham wrote:
>Which I think leads to a useful principle. We can "safely" leave to
>registries any action, the failure to do which will impact only that
>registry or its customers. They have full permission to shoot
>themselves in the foot. We should embed in the protocol any safety
>measure or restriction which, if not followed, allows a registry to
>shoot other registries or their customers in the foot

I am not sure about what you intent to convey. Nobody gives them
permission or says it is legal or illegal. They have no permisssion
to shoot themsekves in the foot, they have the right and the
capability to do it. The role of the IETF is only to "influence the
people who design, use and manage the internet for it to work
better". That infuence can be positive if they accept its
constraints. It can also be negative if it goes too far for them to
accept its constraints. The target is to permit adherence to
something because everyone can accept it as reasonable in one's real life.
jfc