Changing DISALLOWED (was Re: Reserved general punctuation)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Sat May 3 04:06:08 CEST 2008

On 2 maj 2008, at 18.58, Debbie Garside wrote:

> Thanks for the insight into IETF procedures but I was merely going
> by my
> experience of RFC's which never seem to be published within the
> timescale
> originally set within the Charter.

What I think you include in your statement on "3-6 months" is the
discussion period until people agree what text should be in some
document. And that time you will end up with regardless of whether a
document is produced as an RFC or as a document that is up for public
comment by other means. I.e. that time period can be short or long
depending on how fast consensus is reached. Independent on what kind
of review you want.

For RFCs, contrary to other public comment period, we have in the IETF
an explicit tracking mechanism that ensure things are not dropped.
Well documented mechanism for appeal procedure etc.

    Patrik