Allowed characters (was: Re: Casefolding Sigma (was: Re: IDNAbis Preprocessing Draft)

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Mar 30 21:27:44 CEST 2008

>At 3:08 PM +0200 3/30/08, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>>On 30 mar 2008, at 14.25, Michael Everson wrote:
>>
>>>The letters from 076E..077F are currently
>>>unassigned, but in Unicode 5.1 they will be
>>>assigned. Will these be allowed?
>>
>>Yes.

Thanks for that. THe Yes sufficed, but I
appreciate that you ran a tool on the data.

Paul Hoffman said:
>Let me amend Patrik's response:
>
>"Yes as long as the properties for those
>characters that affect idnabis in the beta
>tables that were recently consulted don't
>change".

Between now and Friday? Unlikely.

>Although I know that what Michael wants is an
>answer to "what will happen in IDNAbis for these
>characters", the answer is "it depends on the
>properties of those characters when IDNAbis is
>finished". At this point, we expect IDNAbis to
>issue after Unicode 5.1, and therefore you will
>be able to tell for sure when Unicode 5.1 comes
>out.

That's Friday.

>I haven't followed the beta process for 5.1 very carefully,

You ought to. It is in YOUR interests and in the
interests of YOUR constituents to do so. And I
say this as Irish NB representative to WG2, who
am often at loggerheads with the UTC. So my
opinion is not a Unicode opinion. (Though I
suspect they hold the same view. You OUGHT to
follow these processes carefully.)

>so I can't give an opinion on the likelihood
>that some of the relevant character properties
>will change before 5.1 is official.

They are letters, and their properties won't change.