Proposed Charter for the IDNAbis Working Group

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Mar 27 20:24:34 CET 2008

i am sure you are speaking from experience and no, I haven't had to
deal with an IETF working group in quite a while.

my sense of the design team after many emails and an all day session
at the end of January is that it is essentially aligned and now eager
to have their work more fully reviewed and discussed.  I had thought
that it would be the responsibility of the chair to detect whether
the results of this review triggered a re-charter requirement. I
would expect to discuss any such thing with the ADs and the WG. My
sense is that such a thing should be contemplated only for really
significant departures from the basic philosophy that has been
outlined in the exchanges of the past several weeks on this list.

Without trying to be complete, the rough outline of the difference
between the 200X and 2003 philosophy as I understand it is  as follows:

1. the protocol specification in the new drafts does not specify
mapping. if mapping takes place it does so outside of the protocol
specification. Implicitly the protocol spec says what is acceptable
input either for registration or for look up (and these are treated
somewhat differently with look up being a bit more flexible than
registration).

2. A concerted effort is made to make the specifications agnostic
with regard to version of Unicode documentation so that properties of
the characters/symbols are the key to determining their
appropriateness for use in IDNs. Because this classification does not
appear always to match precisely what seems to be appropriate for DNS
use, there is provision for some exceptions but it is intended to try
to minimize these.

3. An effort has been made to deal further with bi-directional
scripts and with special symbols such as zero length joiner/non-
joiners. It appears that the latter may be contextually dependent,
needed in some languages but not in others that might share
overlapping use of a script. So there are contextual rules available
in the specification toolkit for these contingencies

4. Registration time restrictions are contemplated in the IDN200X
philosophy, perhaps to a greater extent than in IDN2003 (?).  Some of
these restrictions may be aimed at curtailing ambiguity in domain
name assignments (e.g. by barring certain subsequent registrations or
by bundling registrations in the way the CJK community has developed,
or possibly other tactics). Some of this philosophy is found in the
first document in the proposed set which tries to set for the
rationale for the design and underlying philosophy.

I am sure there are better ways to express these things than I have
achieved and if there are errors they are more likely due to my
misunderstandings than to a genuine disagreement with the design team.

I am going to try to compose a revised charter incorporating some of
the suggestions received in the past few days, including some of
yours, Paul.

I hope we can finalize the charter soon so we can get to the
substance of discussion about the actual proposed IDN200X specifics.

vint