IDNA200x and PKIX chain validation

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Thu Mar 27 17:49:22 CET 2008

--On Thursday, 27 March, 2008 09:40 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<phoffman at imc.org> wrote:

> At 4:26 PM +0100 3/27/08, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Doesn't this approach lead to, for example, that the outcome
>> of X.509 certificate chain validation will depend on the
>> locale in which the application is running in?
>
> Not at all. The domain names used in chain validation are
> expressed as punycode/A-labels.

And, as I understand it, are generally also in length-string
label format, rather than dot-separated domain names.   So they
are isolated from almost anything that goes on in the
"characters the user is expected to see and interact with" side
of things.