AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Mar 17 11:10:51 CET 2008

Martin Duerst skrev:

>> Now, if we can agree on that principle, we need to examine the
>> set of characters that are transformed in non-obvious ways by
>> case folding.   For those that are like this, we have to figure
>> out how to implement the principle, which may require some
>> additions to the exception list.
>>

> The next example where to test this approach would be the issue
> of the (Turkish,...) dotless i. My guess is that things would
> work out fine (i.e. the concept of information loss would show
> the desirability for having both dot-ful and dot-less 'i').

We all know the set by heart by now - the sharp S, the capital letter I
with dot above, the Greek small letter final sigma.

Now, we CAN'T make uppercase I (without a dot) fold to lowercase dotless
I, since that would break ASCII compatibility, so my guess for the
dotless-i case is that we can't make that one work. YMMV.

                  Harald