AW: AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 12 04:27:49 CET 2008

--On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 22:44:46 +0100 Georg Ochsner
<g.ochsner at revolistic.com> wrote:

> Can you explain for which applications in particular the
> case-insensitivity for domain names is essential, and why? Can such
> applications make use of the new uppercase sharp S in Unicode 5.1?

We have trained all users since the birth of the DNS to expect that
"FreeNet.de", "freenet.de" and "FREENET.DE" all point to the same host.

I (speaking from my Norwegian context) think it's essential that the same
thing be true for "Ålesund", "ÅLESUND" and "ålesund" too; that's the
general "application" of "humans type a domain name and expect it to behave
like domain names they're used to".

                    Harald