AW: AW: sharp s (Eszett)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Tue Mar 11 15:20:39 CET 2008

--On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:29:30 +0100 Georg Ochsner
<g.ochsner at revolistic.com> wrote:

> [...]

Note: We're not talking about "equivalent in general" here, we're talking
about "permitted as a lookup key in the DNS".

Under IDNA2003, we were talking about "if the user gives us ß, we will
look up ss". Under IDNA200x, we're only talking about "can ß be used to
lookup information in the DNS?", since mapping user expectations to lookup
keys is considered to be outside the protocol.

We have four alternatives:

1 - No, it can't
2 - Yes, it can, because we're adding a special case
3 - Yes, it can, and because of this example, we'll throw away the
requirement that a character be stable under full casefolding in order to
be used as lookup
4 - Yes, it can, and the Unicode tables should be changed to make it stable
under casefolding.

1 is what's currently proposed, 2 and 3 can be accomplished by changes to
the idnabis documents (noting that 3 can have unforeseen effects on other
characters), 4 requires changes to Unicode.

Note that if you're arguing the 4th case, that belongs on the
unicode at unicode list, not here.

                      Harald