High-level changes from IDNA2003 in the "current work"

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Mar 7 19:16:21 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 03:02:42PM -0800,
 Paul Hoffman <phoffman at imc.org> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

> a) Update base character set from Unicode 3.2 to Unicode 5.0 or 5.1

I thought the idea was, on the contrary, to not be tied to a specific
version of Unicode?

> d) Change the way that the protocol specifies which characters are allowed
> in labels from "humans decide what the table of codepoints contains" to
> "decision about codepoints are based on Unicode properties plus a small
> exclusion list created by humans"

And with three categories (ALWAYS, MAYBE, NEVER) not just two
(allowed/disallowed).

h) New vocabulary? (A-labels and so on) After all, ICANN has already
adopted them.