IDNA applications (was: RE: sharp s (Eszett))

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Fri Mar 7 23:19:12 CET 2008

At 4:45 PM -0500 3/7/08, John C Klensin wrote:
>--On Friday, 07 March, 2008 13:03 -0800 Paul Hoffman
><phoffman at imc.org> wrote:
>
>>  Just to be clear: this is not just browsers. All applications
>>  that use IDNA2003 (mail programs, IM clients, and so on) will
>>  need to have the self-update property described above,
>>  assuming that we adopt the "mapping is done in the
>>  application" idea.
>
>Paul,
>
>One needs this even without the "mapping is done in the
>application" rule.
>
>What requires it is getting rid of the rule that unassigned code
>points are looked up.

This goes back to a comment you made earlier today about the way I
stated "(a)". I said:

a) Update base character set from Unicode 3.2 to Unicode 5.0 or 5.1

You said:

a) Update base character set from Unicode 3.2 to Unicode version-agnostic

Those two are quite different statements, and the group needs to
decide which, if either, it wants to achieve.