Hasty attempt to create an IDN WG (Was: WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name (idn)

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Mon Mar 3 15:32:08 CET 2008

Stephane,

>> In addition, experience has shown a number of real or perceived
>> defects or inadequacies with the protocol.
>>

> Hold on. Is the WG really supposed to work on "perceived" defects?
> Either these defects are real or they are not. If they are not real,
> for instance, if they are FUD (this is quite common in the IDN arena),
> they should *not* be addressed by the WG.

Right. But it is quite common when we revise a specification that we
have only an incomplete defect list. Or we may not have determined if a
particular issue is really a defect. Understanding which specific issues
have to be fixed is typically WG work in a bis spec effort. And
obviously, if a particular issue is mistakenly believed to be a problem,
some additional explanation in the final spec may be useful to reduce
future FUD.

Jari