NFKC and dots

Martin Duerst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Mar 3 08:26:32 CET 2008

I think that some aspects of this may be related to HTML.
But domain names are used much more widely than HTML, and
it would be a bad idea to have HTML behave differently from
other, similar formats. As far as IDNA2003 did lead to
unintuitive or clearly underspecified behavior for
generic (from an IDN viewpoint) "higher-level protocols",
it should be fixed and the fix documented in IDNAbis.
These considerations are crossing label boundaries, but
then so do bidi considerations. Although wherever
possible, we should limit IDN work to single-label
considerations, cross-label issues are sometimes
unavoidable.

Regards,    Martin.