Naming the WG (was: Re: WG Review: Internationalized Domain Name (idn))

John C Klensin klensin at jck.com
Sun Mar 2 19:52:52 CET 2008

I am likely to have more to say later (I want to see what others
have to say for a while), but want to mention one thing...

--On Thursday, 28 February, 2008 11:49 -0800 Paul Hoffman
<paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

>> Internationalized Domain Name (idn)
>
> A better choice would be "Revision of Internationalizing
> Domain Names in Applications (idnabis). This new WG is *not*
> taking on all the topics of the original IDN WG (for example,
> changing the on-the-wire encoding is explicitly disallowed).
> The charter is clear that this is a revision to IDNA; the name
> should as well.

FWIW, I agree with this and made essentially the same comment
(although partially for another reason) to Lisa several days ago.