ICANN PR campaign

Cary Karp ck at nic.museum
Mon Jun 30 17:06:34 CEST 2008

Quoting Frank Ellermann:

> Hi, I think some folks here might be also interested in ICANN's
> latest PR campaign:  http://idn.icann.org/Special:Recentchanges
>
> If you don't see it, they deleted the IDNAbis page on their IDN
> wiki.  I guess I had invested about 200 hours in that project,
> documenting the IDNAbis history (+ related RFC and drafts) from
> 2007-10 until the day before yesterday.

The wiki at http://idn.icann.org is intended for one purpose only, and that is to enable Net users to test the response of their applications environments to a-labeled TLDs. There is an article in the wiki that provides a brief introduction to technical topics that might weigh into that action, including a link to the IDNAbis resource page dynamically maintained http://stupid.domain.name/idnabis/ .

It is hard to imagine what the reaction would have been if ICANN unilaterally decided that the IDNwiki was also an appropriate venue for the technical discussion of the IDNAbis revision, which is entirely in the IETF's purview, and for which the IETF is surely more than capable of providing any discussion forum it feels necessary.

It might therefore be worth mentioning that the deletion of the separate article on IDNAbis was preceded by a request for commentary about that proposed action, to which only one single contribution was made during close to two weeks, by the only person who had presented material in the article.

/Cary