A-label definition

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Jun 21 15:05:12 CEST 2008

This mail was blocked due to the number of recipiants. I send it
again. The cc list is: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto at icann.org>,
"Subrenat" <jj.subrenat at welho.com>, bdelachapelle at gmail.com,
alac at atlarge-lists.icann.org, anne-rachel.inne at icann.org,
twomey at icann.org, gerard.lang at insee.fr, maaya at funredes.org,
listegenerale at franceatlarge.org, MKUMMER at unog.ch, genetech at mail.mltf.org

----

To follow on Frank's remarks calling for clear definitions for the
words we use at the IETF/WGIDNABIS.

We (france at large and related entities and experts as well as Members
from the French Internet Governance) have identified a difficult (and
politically sensible) translation problem of the Internet terms into French.

This shows us that many terms that we commonly intuitively understand
may not reasonably understood well in an other language (French is
certainly one of the most difficult semantic filter for external
pragmatics). Relations with other languages of Members of the
involved entities (European languages, Arabic, African languages)
make us understand that the most difficult part of the IDNA/ML-DNS
issue is the user-guide and contract languistic interintelligibility.
To interthink may be more difficult than to internet.

We are therefore considering an Internet terminology project
(ITP/TPI) everyone would be welcomed to participate into. It would
articulated as follows:

1. to make a list of the Internet related words (technical and
governance) and we would like some help from the IETF side to be sure
we collect the largest number of terms, starting wih the very IDNA
words, with their English definition.
2. to translate that list in French to come back with a Anglo/French
glossary and all the definition clarifications we need/can propose.
3. to engage into a mutual relation with experts from every ISO 3166
listed scripts and languages in order to provide an Internet Ontology
with reference links embeded and copnceptual, political, technical,
managerial, and user oriented notes and comments.
4. to require Multilinc geocultural semantic addressing registry
projects to contribute with their own language definition (corsican,
breton, welsh, etc.)
5. as a common reference we plan to organise (based upon a wiki work
through http://wikidna.org) a maintained unique document built after
the existing and future RFCs (for the IDNA part) about the technical
architecture, logic, formats, operations, databases, etc. supporting
the Multilingual Internet. For compatibility with IETF and other
works we would like this document to be at least bi-lingual.

We will discuss this project more in detail during our france at large
July 3rd quick-off meeting (hosting, leaders, methodology, support,
etc.). The same as for the IGF process, we would certainly like that
Internet based/related effort to serve as a practical example of
intergovernance support that could be copied in other areas.

Comments and help welcome.
jfc