Proposed document structure and content for IDNA

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Mon Jul 28 11:49:27 CEST 2008

On 10 jul 2008, at 23.56, Mark Davis wrote:

> 3.  Initial Registry Contents
>
>   The remainder of this section specified the initial set of records
>   for the registry.  This material was deleted on publication of this
>   memo, to avoid any potential confusion with the registry itself.
> The
>   IANA language subtag registry can be found at
>   <http://www.iana.org/numbers.html> under "Language Tags".
>
> I'd suggest doing the same here.
>
> Then we could have three docs:
:
:
>   - tables* ( the long lists from tables.txt, the context rules,
> exception
>   lists: all to go onto IANA and be updated there with successive
> versions of
>   Unicode and any the Expert Reviewer Committee's changes)

I personally think we have to be extremely clear here on what is
normative and non-normative. "The long list from tables" is not
normative, while the context rules, and algorithm (including
exceptions) are.

I am still strongly in favor of requiring IESG Action for every change
of the normative material. We can always loose the requirements later
(when we see we have the correct design), but we can never make it
harder.

    Patrik