Interoperability

Paul Hoffman phoffman at imc.org
Mon Jul 28 09:07:29 CEST 2008

At 12:41 AM -0400 7/28/08, John C Klensin wrote:
>As I read your note (and I would encourage anyone on the list
>who hasn't done so, and done so carefully, to fix that), I come
>away with the feeling that you assume that, in the absence of
>very specific guidance and instructions, implementers are likely
>to run wild and do things that we would agree are crazy.

That is one interpretation of his message. Another is that
implementers are likely to do as little as possible and do things
that we would agree are lazy. Mark's list of possible equivalents
could just as easily show non-interop due to lazy application/IME
implementers as it could to wild/crazy ones.

The IETF has a much richer history with lazy and/or rushed
implementers. It would be good for us to keep them in our thoughts as
we craft the documents.