IDN uses unicode because...

Frank Ellermann hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 07:56:42 CEST 2008

Sam Vilain wrote:

> To pick nits, "all users" is contestable.

ACK, not yet ready for Egyptian users 3000 years ago, among
others incl. living users, but the design allows to fix this.

> The CJK screw-up (where for the CJK range codepoints were
> arbitrarily assigned to units of meaning rather than actual
> characters) springs to mind!

If you are talking about Unicode 1.1, that's now pre-historic;
maybe still needing a minor clean up in the charset registry.

> These sorts of things (and I've no idea how widespread they
> are, really, I know only of that one for certain) are IMHO
> the (not so) unknown reason Unicode gets dissed frequently...

When I diss it it is for other reasons, like claiming that IPA
is "Latin", that capital SZ is a letter, that applications can
never display all characters, that I trust that windows-1252
works without "?", while it is far from clear what else works,
the strange Shavian + Deseret + other diseases, etc.

But there is no alternative (ignoring ISO 2026); and when the
RFC 2277 author said "50 years" back in 1998 this was no joke.

 Frank