Single-letter names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes?)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sat Jul 5 02:44:34 CEST 2008

I feel that Edmon's report of the ICANN/GNSO point of view and the
positions of James Seng are shared by most of the groups we relate
with (Internet @large, open roots, ISO lobbies, Multilinc, MINC,
Eurolinc, ISOC France, ccTLDs, etc.). If this WG does not think they
are technically adequate there would certainly be a real urgency to
document why, to have it confirmed by the IAB, and disseminated. This
is due to the constraints a change would introduce outside of the
Internet community and the général awareness of this debate after the
Paris meeting. This WG needs to speak up now, or status quo will be
considered as definitly settled.

I expect one single sign (logo) gcTLDs [geocultural] to be documented
this year for multilingual information machines (airports,
transports, health, kids, disabled). BTW this is also why I would
recommend to refer to the semiotic rather than to the semantic aspects.
jfc