Single-letter names (was: Re: Update of RFC 2606 based on the recent ICANN changes?)

William Tan dready at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 21:01:29 CEST 2008

John,

To add to your point, one should also consider the question of
embedded semantics in a single-character label.

Alphabetic scripts such as Latin mostly represent sounds used to make
up words. While one can certainly find some legitimate
single-character words (such as the article "a" or the personal
pronoun "i") and dream up others, it would not be very convincing in
the face of your explanation #3.

On the other hand, characters in ideographic scripts such as Han are
not mere sounds or glyphs; they represent one or more concepts.
Therefore, a single-ideographic-character TLD label is certainly more
justifiable. I would even go as far as to suggest that it is essential
in many cases. For example, "è" (U+ 732B) in both Simplified Chinese
and Japanese means "cat" as in English, not the abbreviation for
Catalan nor the UNIX command. The reverse translation of "cat" yields
the exact character in Simplified Chinese, though in Japanese
sometimes the Hiragana sequence "¤Í¤³" is also used. One would be
hard-pressed to come up with a different character to represent the
same concept in Han, aside from the traditional Chinese counterpart
"؈" (U+8C93).

I don't know what the present thinking is on the idea of non-semantic
TLDs, but IMHO the social expectations of DNS usage is cast in stone.
Jon's idea would simply shift the semantics to the second level,
thereby creating 24 roots instead of a single "."

=wil

http://xri.net/=wil